Translate

21 October 2014

"Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up." ~Jesse Jackson


We started English class this week. There are a lot of excited people. I hope I can teach them well and keep them excited. Oh my goodness it was so much work! The elders don´t usually stay in our area, and my companion doesn´t speak English, so I had to do almost everything. It was exhausting, but it will pay off. Already, there was one man who said he´d been looking for an opportunity to get to know the church. English class was just a bonus. The elders are teaching him already and he came to church on Sunday. Luiz. He´s cool.

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up ~Jesse Jackson
My companion and I were completely blown away when a member said that it was hard to integrate a recent convert, because she's of a lower class (we were both pretty offended by that one as well, because we don´t come from high society either...) After speaking with them about that they were much more helpful and loving. I think everyone needs a little reminder every once in a while, but it´s good to know that there are some people out there who actually change when they realize they are not doing what Heavenly Father wants. There is good everywhere we look. Sometimes it´s just a little disguised.

I remember we had a fireside about family history when I was in the youth program. Brother Whitney dressed up as one of his forefathers and talked about him as if he were this person. I will never forget the spirit that I felt as I watched. The people who have gone before us really have an effect on where we are and who we are. We don´t usually realize it, but literally without them, we wouldn´t be here. We are planning an activity to get everyone fired up about family history and we´re going to do a "Brother Whitney" theater piece to start it off and really get everyone feeling the Spirit of Elijah. I am so excited to show these people why it´s so important to do family history. I wish I´d been more diligent in doing this before the mission.

One hard thing. I'm still experiencing the broad shoulder curse...Every blouse I have ever owned has been too tight on the shoulders and the clothes I have are getting tired of all the stress on the shoulders. We're supposed to dress "professional." What´s worse is that I´m in Brazil and it´s almost summer, so modest clothing is almost impossible to find. Sorry about the rant, but this is really frustrating. Any suggestions?

It´s funny that most missionaries look forward to Pday. I´d rather skip it all together. It´s way more stressful than proselyting.

Love,
Sister Arthur

No comments:

Post a Comment