Translate

07 January 2014

"Awkward" is not an acceptable style.

Some awesome things have been happening, and I am loving Gridley more than ever. The people here are so great. They all have such amazing stories to tell. Some are sad and some are exciting, but each is unique and I can see how these experiences have shaped them to become the people they are today.

I went on exchanges a couple of days ago. It was my first time, and it really reaffirmed to me how unique each of us are, even as missionaries. The sister who was my temporary companion during the exchange told me that you know you've really gotten the hang of missionary work when you realize that everyone has their own style and you finally fall into your own. She is so outgoing and can just start a conversation with anyone. It's crazy, and I hope I get the hang of it soon. I'm working my style, because in my mind "awkward" is not an acceptable style. Today I was in the dollar store in line, and I saw a guy wearing a dust mask and his hat was all dusty. I asked him if he was sanding something. He either didn't hear me...or ignored me... but the guy on the other side of him heard me. Actually everyone else in the line did, and they all looked at me. I didn't know what to do, so I made the awkward half sigh...whatever it is sound that is the trademark of an awkward moment (Sissie will know what I'm talking about. It's the one when I make up stories...). Then we all just kind of sat there ignoring each other after that. Ya...I'll get it eventually. 

This morning I read in 2 Nephi during my study. When I came across 2 Nephi 25:25, I thought of why the church is so amazing. It says: "We are made alive in Christ because of our faith." I thought of how faith is an action word. If we truly believe something, we will act on our belief. Christ tells us that we are to love one another. If we have faith in Him, we will keep His commandments and we will love one anther. If our faith is sincere, we will put this love into action. Words are nice, but we will have the desire to show our love for others through our actions. Serving others is a wonderful feeling, and it makes us alive.

We are praying for rain like crazy. The farmers are very worried, and the canals are drying up like it's their job. This is supposed to be the rainy season, but we keep on waking up with sore throats and bloody noses, because it's so dang dry! You know in Lion King when Simba is starving and dehydrated and he collapses? You know how the ground is cracked? That's what it looks like on the edges of some of the orchards. It's crazy how dependent on the rain these people are, since much of the town is made up of orchards. It's quite a different experience.

Okay, my wonderful people! I hope you are all well and enjoying life! Keep up the amazingness!

Love,
Sister Arthur

No comments:

Post a Comment